Friday, April 27, 2007

There You Are


When I was young, I was a passionate letter writer.
My favorite people to write to were my sister and my friend Dave.
My friend Dave grew up to be a real writer among other amazing things.
My sister grew up to be a coach to people who want to become better.
(Sales Coach would be the more accurate title, but after watching my sister in action,
her advice rarely stays with just sales)


I used to end my letters with "Wherever you go, There you are."
or
"If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?"
Yep, even in my teens, I had a strange view of the world.
At 14, I tried out for mascot because I believed if more people had school spirit,
there would be less people taking drugs.

The kids in Junior High that I saw turning to drugs
were the ones not plugged in to any club or group.
So they found their comfort and acceptance elsewhere.

This Friday afternoon I was thinking that I wish there were more people
who were able to find things to be really passionate about.
Dave and my sister have always been on the move.
Always finding a way to influence great numbers of people.

What makes some people understand their giftings
and what gives people a vision so compelling
that they just keep moving forward?

They are undaunted by failure.
They are for the most part so sure that everyone can do what they do
that they are both an inspiration
and a mirror for the people they encounter.

What makes other people give in to a belief that they are here by chance.
Where ever here is ,
they are unsure of how they got there.
They do not attest that the reason they are where they are
is because they controlled where they went.

Not only do they not know how they got there,
they are unsure about where to go next.

There are so many visionless people.

What a lost feeling.

You just want to reach out and cheer them on.
There is a purpose for your life.
You are important.

It is Friday night. 34 years ago, this would be ok...
but now....I suppose it would be a bit wierd to throw on my Eagle suit..
Head out to find a crowd...
And rally them together with a battle cry, a cheer against
Visionlessness, indifference, and isolation.

I would guess that it would also be strange to start a pep club for
middle aged people that are not plugged in.

So, instead ... since I have a vision of encountering other people
that need encouragement, and I am willing to go there when the opportunity presents itself,
I will believe some interesting things will happen this weekend
and
Micheal and I will get a chance to act on being a souce of encouragement.

2 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Maximus Doom said...

You're right honey; where we go there are few roads, only muddy fields and jungles of forgotten forests lost in plain view of a pseudo-reality on flat tires. That's Ok. You are wherever I am and there WE are....no bird suit required.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Maximus Doom said...

P.S. You're right, Dave and your sister are very dynamic people. The unstoppable force of focus in the channel of passion can withstand any challenge and make it to any mountain top. History is not written of those who aspired to nothing; but those passionate about something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home