Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Don't Blink





I had the privilege of spending time with family I don’t get to see often enough this weekend.
Most especially, I got to spend time with my father.
I remember thinking how blessed we are to have had so many years with my Dad.
We came home to find out that one of our friend’s significant other, had passed away on Saturday.
He was a father as well.
I don’t think he was even 50.
I remember when my father, now 77 turned 50.
We got him a gold watch and he also became a grandfather that year.
He was feeling younger than 50 then.

He got to speak to our youngest on the phone while we were there.
He did not say the exact words below, but he did remind us and him that time flies.
Today, Dad is feeling his 77 years.
Every phone call I make to him is precious.
I struggle with the knowledge that we can not call on our earthly Dad’s forever.


Don’t Blink

I turned on the evenin' news
Saw an old man being interviewed
Turnin' a hundred and two today
They asked him what's the secret to life
He looked up from his ol' pipe
Laughed and said, 'All I can say is'

Chorus

Don't blink
Just like that
You're six years old and you take a nap
And you wake up and you're twenty-five
And your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growin' like mine did
Turnin' into moms and dads
Next thing you know
Your better half of fifty years is there in bed
And you're prayin' God takes you instead
Trust me friend
A hundred years goes faster than you think
(So) (But) don't blink

2nd Verse

I was glued to my TV
When it looked like he looked at me
And said, 'Let's start puttin' first things first'
'Cause when your hourglass runs outta sand
You can't flip it over, start again
Took every breath God gives you, for what it's worth

(Repeat Chorus)

Bridge

So I been tryin' to slow it down
I been tryin' to take it in
In this here today, gone tomorrow world we're livin' in

(Repeat Chorus)

Tag

Naw, don't blink
Don't blink
Life goes faster than you think
Don't blink
Life goes faster than you think
Don't blink
Don't blink
Life goes faster than you think



2 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Bendy said...

This rings very true. I look at my daughters and wonder where the time has gone. I look at my parents who are both in their 60's and realize they won't be here forever. Yes, every minute is so very precious.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger PicoChocolate said...

Wow! What a powerful insight. Tis true; but we are designed to blink — rapidly. Thus we cannot stop the time or the ride; but its all been worth it. Every day counts, every minute matters, every blink one step closer to the one following til there are no more. It is all so precious. The tighter we squeeze the sand, the more slips thru our fingers. Cherish, cherish cherish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home