Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Going First


When you are around a group of people going through extreme transitions you get to see patterns.
One of these patterns is the forging of new relationships.






There is one consistent element within a willingness to connect.
Someone makes the first move.

It may only be by a couple of seconds or sometimes...
The person who makes the first move is hanging out there, vulnerable for quite some time.
And of course, sometimes the person gets rejected and there is no positive connection.

I would have to say that most of the time I do not go first unless I am in sales, training or
a hospitality mode at home.

I wait
I watch
If I think there is something I may be able to help with, or if I think of something fun to add to the moment, only then do I jump in.

"Better To Appear Foolish Than Remove All Doubt"

There is wisdom here, but maybe...I can get too aloof.

Someone has to go first.
Maybe, it is a weak decision to not let the other person go first.
Maybe the other person is afraid I will reject them.
Seems incredible, but maybe.

So having this new thought under my conscious, I headed into a meeting today where I was the new person.

I thought to myself, how can I help the other people feel welcome.
Strange thought I know, but it made me relax.

Since it was my first time with these people in a meeting, I can not truly measure if they felt me sending them welcoming energy,
gentle smiles and encouraging words as a change or if this was how the meeting always went.

What is sweet about all this is that it really was not that hard to go first.
My husband has an evangelistic spirit and can not help but do this 90% of the time.
Maybe he is rubbing off on me.

Not a bad thing.

1 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Maximus Doom said...

Dearest,
This is a good one for all time. Lessons to be kept and learned and rehearsed over and over. Great picture choices too. I really like the smiley face one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home