Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dude

I would never have believed that I would have become a person who loves reality TV...
I must confess...
I am watching way too much of a pretense of real life for others I should be using my time for more self-fulfilling and world changing events.
Another Blog.

I bring this up to share that I first heard a woman being called Dude on American Idol.

At first, I thought I must be hearing something that Randy alone used as a way to show praise or respect, but after the last couple weeks I have heard more young people using this.

I realize now I must be behind on how widespread this nickname is. I was a little surprised the first time I was called Dude.

Women being called dude. Let's face it, women don't get great nicknames anyway. Most nicknames for women are derogatory.

I am sure you can think of at least five nicknames that are not things you would like to be called. Men seem to get better nicknames, Champ for example is something that most people would think highly of if called.

At best, dudette would only have been fun if you were a cowgirl. I have some nicknames for some of my friends.

Chicky Baby is one that works if you have a friend with a fresh fun sassy attitude. Diva is one that would be ok for me if anyone wants to start working that into our conversations or the way you refer to me.

I think the funny thing about Dude is now it is unisexual. I wonder if Broke back Mountain had anything to do with this. Kinda makes you wonder about Dude Ranches in general.



Is there anything wrong with women feeling complimented because they have been awarded with or risen to the level of getting a male nickname? I guess not.

Might be cool for some creative female writers to get in touch with the Desperate Housewives producers or Grey's Anatomy produces and submit some positive fresh new positive nicknames for women.



It would be daring to go that route instead of playing to the negative, side of what women call each other.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Maximus Doom said...

Hmmmm.....
I guess I hadn't thought about "good" words for women. It is shocking .....the only words that are positive for women are mostly appearance driven (male oriented)....hmmm... Somebody's got to change that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home